Wintertime is the harshest period for our vehicles. From dead batteries to poor lighting, we see it all at our La Pine auto repair shop. The truth is that the colder weather, icy conditions, and shorter daylight can cause our vehicles to go into overdrive. The best way to prevent a headache over car repairs is by getting preventative maintenance before the holidays. Here are some key tips to follow in order to prevent unwanted breakdowns this winter!
- Engine - First off, you should get an oil change (if you haven’t gotten one in the last 6-12 months). This will ensure your engine components are properly lubricated and work seamlessly. Next, you should pay attention to your engine performance. If your engine is misfiring, running rough, or simply not as powerful as it used to be, get a tune-up.
- Windshield Wipers - Windshield wipers are affordable to replace, so you should have no excuse why you don’t change them once a year. With lots of precipitation expected in Oregon, be sure to get the wipers that perform best in icy conditions. While you’re at it, feel free to pick up an ice scraper and snow brush to keep in your car for backup.
- Heater/Defroster - These two are your best friends in the winter. Not only will your heater keep you comfortable on the road, but you’ll need your defrosters to kick in to defog and deice your windshield.
- Battery - A quick battery test can save you in the long run. At our shop, we will happily test your battery to see if it can still hold a proper charge. Additionally, we can pop your hood and check for corrosion, loose wires, or any other signs of damage.
- Lights - Are your lights clean, clear, and bright enough? With sunsets happening at 4-5 pm in the afternoon, you’ll need your car lights to light up your path. Not to mention, there are brake lights, tail lights, and high beams you should check too.
- Winter Tires - If you plan to drive a lot this winter, consider investing in some winter tires. They have deeper tread patterns to drive safely over snow and icy roads.
If you have any questions regarding what kind of maintenance to get for your car this winter, feel free to give us a call or visit today. We can prep your car, SUV, or truck with quality maintenance at Integrity Auto Services.