You have complete responsibility for your child's safety while they are traveling in your car. Here are some essential things to remember.
- Children are so fast and don't stay still for long, so always check to see where your child is before putting your vehicle in gear.
- Always use your car's automatic door and window locks to keep your child safe inside. The locks ensure they won't get their hands caught or open their doors themselves to get out.
- In older cars, use manual locks and position the car seat away from windows and doors.
- Always use your child's approved, age and size appropriate car seat and secure it correctly.
- Have your child seated in the back of the car while under 13, especially if you have airbags. While helping keep your child safe, it will offer less distraction for you.
- Make your vehicle a no-smoking zone.
- It would be best to never leave children alone inside the car, not even for a minute, even if you need to pop into a shop for five seconds. It's just not worth the risk.
- Be sure your child's car seat isn't in direct sunlight while in the car. It can be very uncomfortable for them and even result in heatstroke. Try using a window screen if necessary.
- Be a prime example for your child, and make sure you and everyone else have your seatbelt on for every ride. Make it a point not to start the car till you hear those seat belt clicks.
- Make sure to keep your phone out of reach while driving. Remove the temptation to read or look at it while driving, especially with your children in the car. Text messages increased the risk of a car crash or near-crash by two times when drivers took their eyes off the road to look at their phones.
Keeping your car serviced will ensure you and your children are safe on the road. So if you need your vehicle serviced, we invite you to bring your vehicle into our auto repair shop today!